Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus owners will surely find double the fund and features with their newest flagship phones from Samsung. The new models are already one of the most popular choices for this year’s smartphones thanks to the plethora of user commands and controls that it allows, making life easier for the owners.
One such awesome control feature of the smartphone is the Double Tap to Sleep and its counterpart, Double Tap to Wake, this makes phone operation a breeze especially for users who want the best responsiveness out of their phones. This feature was also present in the previous Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus though it was first introduced by in LG’s smartphones.
The core principle of Double Tap is simple, the phone is able to recognize repetitive touch patterns from its user and associate it to a specific sequence. That said sequence in this case, is the double tap which makes the phone respond to the actions and activity of its owner.
This means that if the phone is awake, then it will go into sleep mode automatically at a Double Tap gesture and vice versa for waking up the device. Still, this could be troublesome for people who let others use their phones, and there are also some who preferred the good old-fashioned always-on display, which while less conservative on the battery, makes the phone look more active.
There is another option for those who want the middle ground, which is a more customizable and perhaps more intelligent gesture recognition for the Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus. This comes in the form of a third party app called Nova Launcher which takes advantage of the latest gesture technology and development from smartphones and incorporates them into its own user-friendly system.
Nova Launcher is also arguably one of the best custom launchers for smartphones not just from Samsung but also other Android devices. It should be noted, however, that it is a paid app and not a free one, so those who have no intention of spending additional money for additional and better smartphone functions may want to look somewhere else.
Here is How to Improve the Double Tap Feature for the Samsung Galaxy S9 or Galaxy S9 Plus:
- Go to the Home Screen of the device
- Press Apps to access the application menu
- Look for Play Store and select it
- In the search bar of Play Store, type “Nova Launcher” and select the app in the results;
- Wait for the download to finish
- Once it is done, you should now acquire the paid and improved version of Nova Launcher, the Nova Launcher Prime which can be downloaded from here
- It requires a few dollars to acquire, simply follow the instructions on the Play Store to purchase it
- Wait for Nova Launcher Prime to finish its download and installation
- Afterwards, go to the Home Screen of the device again
- Press Apps
- Look for Settings and select it
- Now identify the particular application option you are looking for and select it
- Select Default Application
- Then select the Home Screen option
- You will then be prompted with a list of options, look for Nova Launcher and select it to set it as the default launcher
- This will set Nova Launcher and the features of the Nova Launcher Prime as the launcher for your phone whenever you do an action
- Press the Home button to go to the Home Screen and the Nova Launcher will demonstrate its UI
- At the Home Screen, find and empty spot and tap and hold it
- You will be prompted with an app widget selection, select Settings
- Then select Gestures and Inputs from the newly opened Settings menu
- Under Gestures and Inputs, select Double Tap
- Also, select the Screen Lock option
- Then press the Home key to return to the Home Screen of the device
- Do the quick double tap gesture anywhere in an empty spot in the Home Screen
- You will be prompted to enable the gesture, do so
- There should be an activate button at the bottom right area of the screen
Now your Samsung Galaxy S9 or Galaxy S9 Plus powered by the Nova Launcher UI should recognize your Double Taps as its cue for the sleep or wake function. Feel free to use the function and get accustomed to it since it is a big time saver as well as a battery saver for your phone. This can also be done for other phone models and brands as long as it is Android and has an inherent Double Tap function.
Should you not be content with what Nova Launcher has to offer, you can always view and try other apps and custom launchers and UIs available in the Play Store. As for refunding the Nova Launcher Prime, there should be a refund or customer service contact information on its Play Store page, just make sure to do it immediately if you are dissatisfied with the app.
It should also be noted that using the function should not be abused and owners should be careful with how they utilize the Double Tap feature as they can accidentally put their phones to sleep while using them. Still, the pros outweigh the cons in this one, practically at least and should be considered.
This is because Double Tapping your phone to put it to sleep mode is a good way to save power, that power saved could well go to other more aesthetically important features such as screen brightness. Double Tap could also save your Power button from being worn out since having to constantly press the physical key to turn the display on or off could take its toll over time. Lastly, Double Tap could be a good replacement for the sometimes clunky Fingerprint unlock mode which sometimes does not recognize the owners fingerprints and has to be positioned at a certain correct angle.
Regardless, it should be your choice and practical needs that should dictate what you want to do with the Double Tap function of your Samsung Galaxy S9 or Galaxy S9 Plus.